Have you ever faced the dilemma of needing an extra bed when guests stay over, but don’t have the space for a permanent spare bed or pull-out sofa? Or perhaps you want a comfortable sleeping space in your studio apartment or home office that can double as a couch during the day? If so, a convertible sofa bed is an ideal solution for your needs!
Convertible sofa beds have grown in popularity in recent years as people seek out multi-purpose furniture that can save space and provide flexibility in their homes. Unlike the cheap sofa beds of the past that were notoriously uncomfortable and clunky to convert, many of today’s convertible sofa beds feature stylish contemporary designs and innovative mechanisms that easily transform from a couch to a bed with minimal effort. When closed, they look just like regular sofas and blend seamlessly into your existing décor. But when needed, they can quickly convert into a spacious bed for guests to comfortably sleep overnight or even for everyday use.
This comprehensive guide will walk you through all the key considerations when choosing the best convertible sofa bed for your needs and home. We’ll cover what to look for in terms of size, comfort, ease of use, style, and more. You’ll also find a list of the top rated convertible sofa beds on the market and get answers to some frequently asked questions about these multifunctional furniture pieces. Let’s get started!
Why Choose a Convertible Sofa Bed?
Convertible sofa beds offer many advantages that make them a smart furniture purchase:
- Save space in studio apartments, small homes, offices, guest rooms, and other areas where you want seating plus a bed without taking up too much square footage. The sofa and bed in one piece uses less space than separate furniture.
- Provide extra sleeping space when needed for overnight guests, family visiting, or yourself if using as a primary bed. Easy to set up bed rather than pulling out a separate folding bed or air mattress.
- More comfortable than typical sleeper sofas or temporary air beds. Modern convertible sofa beds have thicker mattresses and improved sofa seat cushions compared to older models.
- Flexible, multi-purpose furniture that functions as a sofa, lounger, or bed based on your needs at a given time. Easily convert it for day or night use.
- Affordable compared to purchasing a separate high-quality sofa and bed. You get two pieces of furniture in one.
- Contemporary, stylish designs that blend seamlessly with your existing room décor. Choose from various upholstery fabrics and colors.
For all these reasons, a convertible sofa bed could be the perfect furniture solution for your home if you want seating plus a spare bed without sacrificing style or comfort!
Key Factors to Consider When Choosing a Convertible Sofa Bed
With many different brands and models on the market, it’s important to assess your needs and match them to the right convertible sofa bed. Here are the key factors to keep in mind:
Intended Use and Frequency
How often do you plan to use the bed function? Is it mainly for occasional guests a few times a month, or will it be pulled out regularly as a primary bed? Sofa beds used daily hold up better with high-density foam or innerspring mattresses.
Measure the space the convertible sofa bed will go in beforehand. Make sure to account for room needed to pull out the bed. Standard sizes are twin, full, and queen. Think about the size mattress you’ll need for comfortable sleep. Low profile units fit better in smaller spaces.
Given you’ll sleep on it, the mattress is one of the most important components. Mattresses can be innerspring, memory foam, polyester fill, latex foam, and other materials. Memory foam conforms to the body nicely. Innerspring provides bouncy, traditional mattress feel. The thicker the mattress, the more comfortable – at least 6 inches is good, 8 inches better for regular use.
The sofa’s seat, back, and armrests should also be well-padded and supportive. Test it out by sitting in store models.
Ease of Conversion
Check out demo models to test the process of folding out the bed. It shouldn’t be a complex process. Most newer convertible sofa beds have easy folding mechanisms that quickly unfold the mattress with the frame. Some require pulling out the mattress separately.
Sofa Design and Style
Since it will function as a sofa most of the time, you want to pick a convertible sofa bed with a style you enjoy. Choices include tufted, sleek, modern, or buttoned designs. The frame could be wood, metal, or upholstered. Make sure the size and shape fit with your décor. Neutral colors tend to be most versatile.
Durability of Upholstery Fabric
Consider leather, microfiber, polyester blends, cotton, or synthetic leather for easy wipe-down and stain resistance. Durable, water-resistant fabrics stand up well to regular use.
Brand Reputation and Reviews
As with any major furniture purchase, it’s wise to read buyer reviews online for feedback on factors like quality, comfort, and ease of assembly. Opt for established brands known for good convertible sofa beds.
Convertible sofa beds range greatly in price from $200 up to $1500 based on size, materials, and features. Determine how much you can spend. Higher budget around $800+ gets you higher quality, but you can find a decent basic model for under $500.
Top 5 Convertible Sofa Beds
After extensive research, here are my top convertible sofa bed picks in terms of value, quality, comfort, and ease of use:
1. Ikea Friheten Sleeper Sectional
- Dimensions: Queen size bed, 88”w x 36”d closed.
- Mattress: 6” thick foam mattress.
- Frame: Sturdy wood with durable fabric.
- Pros: Comfortable foam mattress. Folds down easily into bed. Stylish design as sofa or bed. Good value price point.
- Cons: Back cushions lacks support. Mattress thinner than some models.
- Best for: Small spaces, affordable option, clean modern style.
2. DHP Emily Futon Convertible Sofa
- Dimensions: Folds out to full size bed dimensions. Split back for reclining.
- Mattress: Tufted faux leather surface. Thick padded innerspring mattress.
- Frame: Sturdy wood frame with chrome metal legs.
- Pros: Very versatile – can recline as lounger or fold flat as bed. Budget friendly price.
- Cons: Heavier and bulkier than other options when folded out.
- Best for: Frequent conversions from sofa to lounger to bed. Classic tufted sofa style.
3. Zinus Ricardo Sofa Bed
- Dimensions: Opens to twin, full or queen bed with Back cushions removed.
- Mattress: 6” high-density memory foam mattress.
- Frame: Solid wood with dark espresso finish.
- Pros: Memory foam mattress contours to body. Easy fold-down mechanism into bed.
- Cons: Mattress thinner than some models. Limited color/fabric choices.
- Best for: Small spaces, clean modern aesthetic, memory foam comfort.
4. Ashley Furniture Signature Design Larkinhurst Sofa Bed
- Dimensions: Queen size. Wide track arm design.
- Mattress: High density foam mattress.
- Frame: Polyester/polyurethane upholstered frame in grey or chocolate colors.
- Pros: Comfortable foam mattress and cushioning. Easy to open. Stylish sofa design.
- Cons: Heavy and bulky furniture piece. Higher price point.
- Best for: Elegant transitional style. Primary sofa bed for everyday use.
5. Divano Roma Furniture Classic Plush Tufted Sleeper Sofa
- Dimensions: Opens to full bed. Chaise lounger design.
- Mattress: Innerspring mattress with memory foam layer.
- Frame: Wood frame. Button tufted upholstery fabric.
- Pros: High quality thick mattress with coils and memory foam. Attractive classic design.
- Cons: Expensive compared to other models. Tight seat cushions.
- Best for: Luxury tufted style. Structured, firm seating feel.
Beyond the factors above, keep these tips in mind while shopping:
- Try out floor models in the store – sit, lay down, and convert them to get a feel for comfort and ease of use.
- Read online customer reviews on sites like Amazon, Walmart, and Wayfair to learn from other buyers’ experiences.
- Make sure the return policy gives you enough time to try it at home. Many stores offer 30 days.
- Carefully check the dimensions and measure your space before bringing one home to ensure a proper fit.
- Ask about warranties – many offer 1 year on the frame and 6 months on the mattress.
- If planning to use frequently as a bed, splurge on an 8-10 inch mattress for maximum comfort.
- Leather or vinyl upholsteries are most durable and easiest to clean.
- Steer clear of super cheap models that seem flimsy or weak.
- Opt for metal or hardwood frames for durability through years of use.
- Upholstered frames have a smooth finished look, while exposed frames showcase industrial style.
- Make sure the mattress easily folds out with the frame – having to remove cushions and pull out a mattress separately is inconvenient.
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is the conversion process from sofa to bed?
Many newer models feature easy fold-out mechanisms that only take 1-2 steps to convert from sofa to bed. Look for demo models in stores to try the process. It shouldn’t be complicated or require multiple steps – the best convertible sofa beds can smoothly transition with just one person.
Can you feel the bars from the folding mechanism through the mattress?
Higher quality convertible sofa beds have fewer and thinner bars in the frame, along with thicker mattresses that provide enough padding and insulation so you don’t feel the bars underneath. But cheaper models sometimes lack sufficient padding, in which case the bars are more noticeable.
How thick should the mattress be?
Experts recommend at least a 6 inch mattress for basic comfort, but 8-10 inches is ideal, especially if you plan to use the bed function frequently. Thinner mattresses under 6 inches don’t provide enough support and padding. The thicker the mattress, the more comfortable night’s sleep.
What’s the average price range for convertible sofa beds?
There’s quite a range when it comes to pricing. You can find basic models between $200-$500, mid-range picks from $500-$800, and high-end designer convertible sofa beds up to $1500 or more. Expect to spend around $800+ for better quality materials, thicker mattresses, and improved durability.
Can you customize the sofa fabric or color?
Some brands offer custom fabrics or colors for an added cost. This allows you to match your décor and upholstery preferences. But customizations do come at an extra price.
What’s better in terms of the mattress – innerspring or foam?
It comes down to personal preference. Innerspring mattresses offer that traditional bounce and spring feel that many people like from regular beds. Memory foam conforms closely to your body contours for pressure relief. If you tend to sleep hot, innerspring breathability could be better. Try both types in stores to see what you find most comfortable!
What is the typical weight capacity for convertible sofa beds?
For average twin and queen size convertible sofa beds, the weight capacity is around 600 lbs. Some may be a bit less while higher end models can accommodate up to 800 lbs. If a heavier weight capacity is needed, look carefully at manufacturer specs before purchasing.
How long can I expect a convertible sofa bed to last?
With frequent use, cheaper models made with lower quality materials and thin mattresses last around 2-3 years before showing significant wear and tear. Higher quality convertible sofa beds with sturdy frames and thick mattresses can last 5-7 years with regular use. Models used only occasionally as a spare guest bed can last 10+ years.
Does the price include delivery and assembly?
Most retailers include delivery within a certain distance radius from the store. Some offer threshold delivery while others will deliver to your room of choice for an added fee. Assembly often requires an additional payment but is usually quick and simple with convertible sofa beds.
I hope this detailed guide provided all the useful information you need to confidently shop for the ideal convertible sofa bed! The key is taking the time to assess your needs in terms of size, comfort, frequency of use, and style. Test out different models in person. And don’t forget to measure carefully to ensure it fits the intended space!
While a bit of an investment, the right convertible sofa bed pays for itself over time in the versatility and flexibility it provides. No longer do you have to have a bulky sleeper sofa or temporary air mattress for guests. With just a quick conversion, you can transform your stylish sofa into a spacious sleeping spot when needed.
Among the top rated brands, you’re sure to find a high quality convertible sofa bed with thick supportive mattress, easy fold-out mechanism, and design suited to your décor. Refer back to this guide anytime those overnight guests need a place to stay. Research and read reviews, then make your purchase with confidence. Soon you’ll be getting great night’s sleep on your multi-purpose convertible sofa bed!